Personal AC Voltage Detector
The V-Watch™ Fire is a personal AC voltage detector that provides a warning in the presence of electrical fields surrounding electrical equipment. Designed to be worn on the outside of firefighting clothing and web gear, the V-Watch™ Fire provides an extra level of safety for firefighters working around electrical power lines and other energized AC electrical equipment.
- Audible and visual alarms increase in frequency as you approach
- Nomex™protective carrying pouch resists flames, provides drop and water protection
- Built-in self test system checks circuit, audible beeper and visual warning light
- Warning mute button turns off beeper for 5 minutes when pressed
- Rugged, compact plastic housing
- 9V field replaceable battery
- Low battery warning indication
- Always on and checking when exposed
- Alerts the firefighter to the proximity of AC high voltage electrical fields
- Increases the safety of accidental contact with power lines and other electrical equipment
- Sensitivity: Factory set at 50/60 Hz sensing threshold
- Operating temperature: -20° F to +120°F (-29° to +49° C)
- Battery: 9V alkaline 1604A, IEC6LR61, 2-year life in storage, about 1 year in use.
- Beeper Sound Pressure Level: 80 dB
- Unit weight: 5.2 oz. (147 g) with battery, 12 oz. (315 g) with carrying case.
- Dimensions with case:
4.25″H x 4.25″W x 2.5″D 106mm x 106mm x 64mm
- Carrying Case: Electrically shielded, Nomex™ outer cover, FR Velcro closure, heavy duty 2.25 in. long clip, case is padded for shock and water protection.
V-Watch is a trademark of HD Electric Company; US Patents D439,537 and 6,329,924. Nomex is a trademark of DuPont Corp. Due to continuous improvement policies, we reserve the right to change product designs and specifications without notice
The V-Watch™ Fire voltage detector comes in a specially designed carrying case to adapt it to a variety of firefighting web gear, back packs, SCBA’s and personal protective
equipment. The carrying case is padded with shock absorbing foam to protect the detector from abuse, wear and tear.
The typical distance at the first warning indication for the V-Watch™ Fire depends on the AC voltage level in the electrical circuit.
- Electrical fields surround every energized AC conductor. The closer you are, the stronger the field.
- Higher voltage means a stronger field and a greater V-Watch™ Fire warning distance. Lower voltage means a reduced warning distance.
- Electrical fields ARE BLOCKED by any conductor such as metal conduit, cabinet or door, metal fence, wet wood, tall wet grass, shrubs or green trees.
- Electrical fields are NOT blocked by plastics, dry wood, clothing or insulation.
- The ground is a conductor and blocks electrical fields. Underground cables are shielded, the shield is a conductor, is grounded and will block the electrical field. The V-WatchÔ Fire voltage detector will not find underground cables.
Line to Ground Voltage 1st Warning Distance*
- 120 V 3 ft. (0.9 m)
- 277 V 4 ft. (1.2 m)
- 480 V 6 ft. (1.8 m)
- 2,400 V 14 ft. (4.3 m)
- 7,200 V 20 ft. (6.1 m)
- 14,400 V 28 ft. (8.5 m)
- 19,900 V 30 ft. (9.1 m)
*Based on proper use, see Instruction Manual.
The V-Watch™ Fire must be used only after proper training and reviewing all Instruction Manuals and product information. Some of the key safety points in using the unit properly are:
- Your body is a good conductor and will block electrical fields. Wear the V-Watch™ Fire on the front near the center of your PPE and do not walk backwards because it can reduce the warning distance by over two-thirds.
- Wrapping your fingers and wet gloves around the unit will block electric fields and the V-Watch™ Fire voltage detector will not warn you properly.
- Always use the proper electrical safety procedures, including all personal protective equipment when working near or around electrical power lines or equipment.
- Do not rely on the V-Watch™ Fire as your sole source of voltage detection. The risk of electrocution is inherent.
- V-Watch™ Fire is not sensing electrical fields when it is inside its carrying case; it is off.
The V-Watch™ Fire personal voltage warning detector with a self-test function, beeper mute function (turns off audible warning for 5 min.), orange plastic housing, includes yellow Nomex™ electrically shielded carrying pouch and warning card, 9V alkaline battery and instruction booklet.